Back to Search Print Posting
This Posting is no longer active.
Laboratory Technologist I
Temporary Full Time
Brooks Health Centre
Open Until Suitable Candidate Found, Competition closes at 1600 hours
5 (7.75 hour) shifts per 1 week cycle (days/evenings/on-call)
$31.63 - $41.65 per hour
The Laboratory Technologist I, working under the direction of the Laboratory Technologist III in designated area is responsible and accountable for the performance of laboratory tests related to the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. This involves but is not limited to the processing of patient specimens submitted for testing within the laboratory disciplines of Chemistry, Hematology/Coagulation Studies and Transfusion Medicine. This position is required to critically evaluate and communicate the results accurately and reliably. This is a working level position utilizing technical skills and judgment to perform and evaluate a diverse range of diagnostic procedures within the Medical Laboratory Technologist scope of practice. Knowledge competencies required for this position include theories, principles and practice related to clinical chemistry, hematology/coagulation studies and Transfusion Medicine. The MLT I position will be able to able to operate and maintain instrumentation and equipment associated with the test mix required. The Technologist will be responsible for performing, evaluating and advising on quality control procedures and quality assurance activities to ensure the accuracy and reliability of laboratory test results to support patient care and safety. The Medical Laboratory Technologist is accountable to the public and as such is responsible for ensuring that decisions follow established standards and practices as defined by the Palliser Health Region, College of Physicians and Surgeons Accreditation Standards (CPSA), ACMLT, CSMLS, Health Canada Laboratory Biosafety Guidelines, Health Protection Act and any other legislative requirements or Standards of Practice for the Profession.
- Grade XII or Canadian Equivalent. Graduate from a recognized Medical Laboratory Technology program. MLT, General Certification. Current CSMLS and ACMLT registration. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Courses in computer applications and operations. Current, relevant courses in Clinical Chemistry, Hematology and Transfusion Medicine preferred. Ability to work with people in a health care environment with professionalism and respect. Current relevant knowledge and experience as a Medical Laboratory Technologist is required. Current relevant experience in an acute care diagnostic core lab is an asset. Proven organizational skills. Ability to learn and receive constructive criticism.
- Specialized knowledge and experience in Laboratory Information Systems applications (specific knowledge in Meditech is preferred). PC software and hardware skills are considered beneficial. Proven organizational, time management and sound decision making skills required. Demonstrated knowledge of the fundamental theories, principles and practices of a core laboratory test mix and their relevance to detection and monitoring of disease as it relates to patient care.Proven initiative and motivation required. Working knowledge of computers preferred. Reliable and dependable.
- Ability to perform duties as outlined on the Working Conditions Statement for the position. Ability to safeguard Alberta Health Services information as private and confidential.Ability to follow and adhere to Alberta Health Services policies, procedures, goals and objectives.
- Diplomatic and tactful with the public and coworkers. Good interpersonal skills. Demonstrable problem solving and conflict resolution skills/training. Ability to cope with stress and deadlines in an efficient and effective manner while maintaining good human relations. Leadership skills preferred. Interest in professional development. Ability to adhere to all aspects of laboratory safety. Demonstrated ability to work as a team member in a multi-gender, variable age, multi-ethnic group environment. Successful completion of internal Laboratory exam with 70% pass mark and an oral interview. Maintain WHMIS and TDG certification.
- Must have a recent (within the past three months) criminal record check/police information check (including vulnerable sector search) prior to the first date of hire. Must have acquired AHS immunizations within the first ninety (90) days of employment.
Until Approx. May 23, 2013
Apply online at www.healthjobs.ab.ca or via FAX at (403) 502-8272
All applications much include the competition number and a current resume to be received by Human Resources prior to 4:00 pm (16:00 hours) of the closing date.
We thank all candidates for their applications however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
AHS values the diversity of the people and communities we serve, and is committed
to attracting, engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Please submit one application for each position desired as copies of applications will not be submitted for multiple postings on your behalf. Applications must include skills and ability for the position, since selection is based on information provided in the application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying with the AHS!
All new offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Records Check satisfactory to the employer.
This information is collected by the authority of the Protection For Person In Care Act (Section 10(4)).