Back to Search Print Posting
This Posting is no longer active.
Registered Nurse (2022.75)
Registered Nurse (2022.75)
Nursing - Nurse/Psychiatric Nurse
Tom Baker Cancer Centre
ACB TOM BKR CC Med Spcl DN Cr
2014-05-22 Time: 23:59
As Per Rotation
Days, Evenings, Weekends
Minimum: 34.31 per hour Maximum: 45.03 per hour
This position works from Tom Baker Cancer Centre
Reporting to the Manager of the Systemic Therapy, Tom Baker Cancer Centre (TBCC), the incumbent of this position provides safe, ethical and patient centered care to adults referred for systemic therapy. The RN provides professional nursing care to patients and their families utilizing the nursing process consistent with the philosophy, objectives and standards of the Nursing Department and the standards for Oncology nursing practice issued by CANO. The RN promotes self care by providing education and symptom management related to chemotherapy / biotherapy, disease progression, procedures and treatments. The RN provides emotional support and counseling for patients throughout their disease process. The RN works collaboratively with all interdisciplinary members of the health care team.
- Uses professional knowledge, technical and interpersonal skills, and clinical judgment to practice the Nursing process in delivering nursing care
- Ensures nursing observations and actions are current, communicated and documented
- Practice excellent assessment and critical thinking skills
- Provides emotional support to patients / caregivers and acts as a patient advocate when appropriate
- Facilitates referrals to other stakeholders and community resources
- Provides care in accordance with policies, procedures, protocols, and guidelines
- Follows established procedures to minimize hazards in the workplace
- Prioritizes care within the patient assignment
- Demonstrates skills in vascular access
- Assumes chart triage and the charge nurse role
- Chairs and leads meetings as needed
- Administers Chemo and Bio Therapy
Patient Education and Counseling
- Provides educational support to patients and families / caregivers
- Contributes to in-service programs relative to area(s) of expertise
- Participates in activities which promote professional and personal growth and development
- CARNA membership and practice permit required
- Successful completion of a recognized nursing education program required
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing required
- BCLS-HCP certification required
- 1-5 years recent full time Oncology nursing experience preferred
- Recent Experience with Oncology Outpatient Clinics preferred
- Recent experience with chemotherapy administration preferred
- Membership in Oncology associations/groups preferred
- Completion of Oncology specialty course preferred
- Education/courses specific to communication skills preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work as member of a multidisciplinary team required
- Demonstrated assessment and critical thinking skills required
- Ability to organize and prioritize work in a fast paced environment required
- Proficiency with keyboarding/electronic documentation required
AHS values the diversity of the people and communities we serve, and is committed
to attracting, engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Please submit one application for each position desired as copies of applications will not be submitted for multiple postings on your behalf. Applications must include skills and ability for the position, since selection is based on information provided in the application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying with the AHS!
All new offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Records Check satisfactory to the employer.
This information is collected by the authority of the Protection For Person In Care Act (Section 10(4)).