Back to Search Print Posting
This Posting is no longer active.
Child Life Specialist
Child Life Specialist
Psychology/Counselling/Social Work, Quality & Healthcare Improvement
Stollery Childrens Hospital
HSAA Facility PROF/TECH
2014-05-22 Time: 23:59
Minimum: 34.33 per hour Maximum: 45.70 per hour
Reporting to the Patient Care Manager of Therapeutic Support Services and under the direction of the Team Leader of the Child Life Program at the Stollery Children’s Hospital, the Child Life Specialist (CLS) helps children and families adjust to and understand hospitalization, illness and treatment. The CLS provides service as a member of the interdisciplinary team and works within a family/client-centered model of care and in accordance with the defined Child Life standards of practice. Through the primary activities of assessment/screening, development of customized goals and therapeutic intervention, education, discharge planning and follow-up, the CLS helps children and families meet their developmental, psychosocial, educational and emotional needs.
Experience in the areas of human growth and development, particularly of children and infants is mandatory. Knowledge and experience in the utilization of therapeutic play and coping strategies in a pediatric population is required. Experience in both an inpatient and ambulatory hospital setting is an asset. The ability to easily adapt and be flexible in a hectic work environment is essential. The successful candidate must have demonstrated the ability to prioritize caseloads and work well both independently and within a multidisciplinary team. In addition to working with patients and families, the incumbent has the opportunity to influence practice through the provision of education and consultation to the interdisciplinary team and to participate in quality initiatives. Excellent communication, conflict resolution, team-building and interpersonal skills are required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Child Life, Child and Youth Care, Child Development, Child and Family Studies, Child Psychology or other related field is mandatory.
- Child Development certificate (2 year diploma) and asset.
- Registration and/or certification with Child Life Council required within one year of acceptance.
- Two (2) years related experience in Child Life mandatory.
- Ability to be resourceful, creative, adaptive and flexible, with strong problem-solving skills is essential.
- Must have a valid BCLS- HCP CPR certification Professional membership: Child Life Council
- Candidate is responsible to provide proof of active registration with the Child Life Council and maintain registration throughout the duration of employment.
- Performance and attendance must be suitable to the employer.
AHS values the diversity of the people and communities we serve, and is committed
to attracting, engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Please submit one application for each position desired as copies of applications will not be submitted for multiple postings on your behalf. Applications must include skills and ability for the position, since selection is based on information provided in the application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying with the AHS!
All new offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Records Check satisfactory to the employer.
This information is collected by the authority of the Protection For Person In Care Act (Section 10(4)).