Back to Search Print Posting
This Posting is no longer active.
Fairview Health Complex
NZ FRV HC NU44 LTC
2014-05-21 Time: 23:59
As Per Rotation
Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekends
Minimum: 23.77 per hour Maximum: 28.91 per hour
Under general supervision, provides receptionist and clerical support to assist in the daily operation of the nursing unit, including the processing of doctor’s orders, ordering of supplies, communicating with various hospital departments and maintaining pay records.
Responsible for providing receptionist duties for the department:
- Receiving, screening and relaying telephone calls and messages.
- Greeting patients, escorting elective admissions to assigned room and notifying nurse of patient’s arrival.
- Greeting and directing family members and visitors.
- Paging physicians at nurse’s discretion.
- Receiving, sorting and distributing mail, sending routine replies as specified by Unit Supervisor.
- Maintaining an orderly work environment at the nursing station.
Provides clerical assistance for the nursing staff:
- Initiates the processing of doctor’s orders for tests, therapy etc. from chart to appropriate requisitions and ensures orders are flagged for the Registered Nurse to check.
- Establishing contact with other hospitals/physicians at request of patient’s physician or Registered Nurse.
- Notifying other pertinent departments regarding admission/discharge.
- Charting temperatures, blood pressures, etc. as necessary.
- Filing completed requisitions etc. on patient charts after review by charge nurse.
- Sending discharged patient charts to Health Records in prescribed order.
- Arranging transfer of patients when required under direction of charge nurse.
- Calling S.P.D for supplies when requested by staff.
- Providing workload or break relief to other units as requested.
Performs clerical duties to facilitate the ongoing operations of the unit:
- Delivering documents and messages within the hospital.
- Operating office equipment as required, i.e. telelift, photocopier.
- Recording attendance information in appropriate format for payroll.
- Completing requisitions to maintain adequate inventory of office supplies and chart forms.
- Maintaining a supply of admission charts.
- Completing Medicus staffing summary worksheet daily.
- Assisting with the orientation of RNs and Unit Clerks to clerical desk duties.
- Completing maintenance requisitions as necessary.
Performs other related duties as assigned, such as but not limited to:
- Answering Nurse Call as directed by charge nurse and communicating information to nursing staff.
- Accompanying patients to Finance on discharge.
- Keeping current knowledge in Code 9, fire and disaster emergency call for assistance procedures.
In addition to a competitive rate of pay, AHS currently has a Remote Retention Allowance in place to an annual maximum of $3,000. This allowance is non-pensionable and is payable on an hourly basis for all hours paid at the basic rate of pay.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Experience in clerical duties in a medical environment preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to type minimum 40 net w.p.m. and operate a computer terminal.
- Ability to prioritize and organize workload within a dynamic work environment.
- Evidence of strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Evidence of initiative, flexibility, and dependability in organizing and carrying out duties.
- Evidence of thoroughness and attention to detail.
- Evidence of pleasant manner in relationships with patients, physicians, staff and public.
- Evidence of responsibility in dealing with confidential information.
AHS values the diversity of the people and communities we serve, and is committed
to attracting, engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Please submit one application for each position desired as copies of applications will not be submitted for multiple postings on your behalf. Applications must include skills and ability for the position, since selection is based on information provided in the application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying with the AHS!
All new offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Records Check satisfactory to the employer.
This information is collected by the authority of the Protection For Person In Care Act (Section 10(4)).