Back to Search Print Posting
This Posting is no longer active.
Mental Health Therapist Provin
Mental Health Therapist Provin
Mental Health, Psychology/Counselling/Social Work
Chinook Reg Community Srvs
SZ LETH C Innov Shared MH
HSAA Facility PROF/TECH
2014-05-15 Time: 23:59
Minimum: 37.79 per hour Maximum: 50.20 per hour
This position works as a primary care team member to provide services in two different models: the Shared Mental Health Care and Behavioural Health Consultation models. In the Shared Mental Health Care role this position works collaboratively and adaptively with family physicians to increase the physicians' capacity to identify, assess, diagnose, manage, treat and/or appropriately refer their patients in decision making and organizational strategy with mental health illnesses and/or addictions. In the Behavioural Health Consultation role this position provides brief, consultation-based services, including assessment, diagnosis, management and treatment for patients that have been referred by their Primary Care providers. This position identifies and provides brief interventions for children, youth, adults, seniors, families and groups, with a broad range of medical and behavioural health problems to develop specific behavioural change plans for patients and to develop behavioural health protocols for target populations.
- Ability to build rapport and strong professional relationships with primary care professionals; excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication
- Role-models clinical assessment skills and treatment approaches including brief therapeutic intervention for a variety of mental health related problems collaboratively with family physicians to treat and manage selected patients presenting with complex mental health treatment issues in the primary health care provider’s practice.
- Knowledge and skill to assist primary care providers to recognize and treat mental disorders and psycho-social problems
- Knowledge and skill to address a wide range of health and mental health concerns with the goals of early identification, quick resolution, long-term prevention and health promotion
- Provides clinical leadership, consultation, support and directions to family physicians and other primary care health providers regarding shared mental health and behavioral health consultation models
- Provide one hour sessions collaboratively with family physicians and patients in SMHC and/or 15-30 minute behavioral health consultations independently with patients
- Knowledge of various assessment tools related to mental illness, and emotional and/or behavioral issues; along with the ability to use the DSM-IV, for determining provisional diagnosis
- Provide family physician with BHC curb side consultation, SMHC session debriefing, feedback and same day clinical notes on the patient record
- Ability to work with primary care team to treat and manage patients with chronic emotional and/or health problems efficiently and effectively
- Ability to assist in the detection of "at risk" patients and the development of plans to prevent further psychological or physical deterioration
- Ability to assist in preventing relapse or morbidity in conditions that tend to recur over time
- Facilitates referrals of primary health care providers’ patients to appropriate mental health/psychiatric or other appropriate resources in the community, region and inter-regionally
- Establishes effective liaison with agencies and professional in both the public and private sectors
- Ability to function independently as well as part of a multidisciplinary primary care team
Graduate of a recognized Masters program in Social Work, Nursing or Psychology preferred. A combination of education and work experience will be considered. Minimum five (5) years of recent and relevant clinical experience working in a community mental health setting. Excellent computer skills and knowledge (i.e. MS Office, etc). Eligible for active registration with the appropriate professional association in the Province of Alberta. Valid drivers license as travel is required. Participates in Quality Improvement projects.
- Vehicle Required - Required to provide a vehicle for business use; along with acceptable driver's abstract and proof of business insurance
AHS values the diversity of the people and communities we serve, and is committed
to attracting, engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Please submit one application for each position desired as copies of applications will not be submitted for multiple postings on your behalf. Applications must include skills and ability for the position, since selection is based on information provided in the application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying with the AHS!
All new offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Records Check satisfactory to the employer.
This information is collected by the authority of the Protection For Person In Care Act (Section 10(4)).