Back to Search Print Posting
This Posting is no longer active.
Medical Laboratory Assistant
Temporary Full Time
Medicine Hat Regional Hospital
Laboratory - Core Lab
2012-11-21 Competition closes at 1600 hours
20 (7.75 hour) shifts per 4 week cycle (days/evenings)
$21.16 - $26.38 per hour
The Medical Lab Assistant working under the direction of the Medical Laboratory Technologist II or designate is responsible and accountable for performing the full range of duties as outlined under the scope of activity by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta. This position ensures that decisions follow established standards and practices as defined by Alberta Health Services, CPSA, CMLTA, CSTM, Health Canada Laboratory Biosafety Guidelines, Health Protection Act and other relevant standards or regulations. Representative duties include: Specimen procurement/receipt, specimen processing, pre-analytical procedures on specimens from a variety of sources according to established protocol, analytical processes that may include urinalysis, pregnancy tests, stool occult blood, ECG's, performing basic preventative maintenance and troubleshooting of laboratory equipment, clerical and administrative duties.
- Grade XII or Canadian equivalent with Level 30 Biology and Chemistry. Graduate of a recognized MLA/MLT course or equivalent education and work experience preferred. Current ACMLT registration preferred.
- Experience working in a high volume acute care diagnostic laboratory would be considered an asset. Experience working with the Meditech Hospital Information System considered an asset.
- Ability to work with people in a health care environment with professionalism and respect. Knowledgeable about and able to demonstrate competencies for a Medical Laboratory Assistant. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to get along with a wide variety of people. Computer skills including superior keyboarding required, demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word Suite applications. Proven organizational, time management and sound decision making skills required.
- Proven initiative and motivation required. Ability to perform duties as outlined on the Working Conditions (PDA) Statement for the position. Ability to safeguard Alberta Health Services information as private and confidential.
- Ability to follow and adhere to Alberta Health Services policies, procedures, goals and objectives.
- Ability to use active listening skills and who goes out of their way to explain and resolve any concerns or problems presented within the department with the understanding that every individual has a different personality.
- Flexible, reliable and dependable. Ability to provide a positive and friendly approach that will enable you to deal with challenging situations with empathy and sincerity.
- Ability to work independently, and within a team, effectively managing his or her time and setting priorities when faced with multiple tasks and deadlines over a period of time.
- Ability to learn and receive constructive criticism. Demonstrable problem solving and conflict resolution skills/training.
- Proven ability to cope with stress and deadlines in an efficient and effective manner. Diplomatic, tactful with the public and customers.
- Must have a recent (within the past three months) criminal record check/police information check (including vulnerable sector search) prior to the first date of hire.
- Must have acquired AHS immunizations within the first ninety (90) days of employment.
Until Approx. November 22, 2013
Apply online at www.healthjobs.ab.ca or via FAX at (403) 502-8272
All applications much include the competition number and a current resume to be received by Human Resources prior to 4:00 pm (16:00 hours) of the closing date.
We thank all candidates for their applications however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
AHS values the diversity of the people and communities we serve, and is committed
to attracting, engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Please submit one application for each position desired as copies of applications will not be submitted for multiple postings on your behalf. Applications must include skills and ability for the position, since selection is based on information provided in the application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying with the AHS!
All new offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Records Check satisfactory to the employer.
This information is collected by the authority of the Protection For Person In Care Act (Section 10(4)).