Back to Search Print Posting
This Posting is no longer active.
Nutrition & Food
Slave Lake Healthcare Centre
NZ SLALK HC FdSrv Pnt/Res/Clnt
2014-06-05 Time: 23:59
Minimum: 21.48 per hour Maximum: 23.63 per hour
Under the direction of the Food Service Supervisor/Manager Food Services Regional Sites, this position prepares food products from basic ingredients using detailed recipes which requires organizing work to meet specified production requirements, maintains work area, supplies. This position may act as a ‘lead hand’ for day-to-day routine activities involved in the scheduling of staff, food preparation, service and clean up of meals for patients, residents, staff and visitors.
Prepares, cooks and bakes food items and may coordinate food preparation activities:
- Cooking standard and special diet meals in accordance with production sheets, standardized recipes and the menu cycle
- Baking in accordance with menu requirements, for special occasions and customer sales
- Assisting in preparation of foods to meet production schedules
- Organizing work area, food and equipment
- Adheres to leftover and food storage procedures
Participates in quality control/quality improvement activities:
- Applying and monitoring the application of sanitation, safety and proper food handling techniques, including the distribution of high quality foods at appropriate temperatures
- Providing feedback on the quantity, appearance and acceptability of prepared foods and recommends changes to the Food Service Supervisor/Manager, Food Services, Zone Sites as required
- Ensuring guidelines for recipes, portion control and other food service procedures are followed ensuring adherence to safety/sanitation policies and cleaning procedures
- Assisting with the administration of quality assurance reports and audits
Prepares and serves patient/client and cafeteria meals:
- Assisting with serving food to patients, residents, and cafeteria clients following established policies and procedures
- Following guidelines for the service of special diets
- Delivering meals to patients/residents and collecting trays as required
Performs routine ‘lead hand’ functions:
- Replacing staff using established guidelines
- Preparing and placing grocery orders using established guidelines
- Assisting with training of new personnel/students
- Providing input into job schedules/routines
- Ensuring a clean and safe work area
- Following WHMIS guidelines for all chemicals used
- Using appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and following departmental workplace hazard identification and safety procedures
Performs other related duties as required, such as but not limited to:
- Storing food and supplies in an appropriate manner
- Confirming invoices and submitting for payment as required
- Submitting completed payroll data as required
- Providing input into departmental monthly variance report as required
- Any other duties as required
In addition to a competitive rate of pay, AHS currently has a Remote Retention Allowance in place to an annual maximum of $3,000. This allowance is non-pensionable and is payable on an hourly basis for all hours paid at the basic rate of pay.
- Journeyman Cook preferred
- Food Safe Course
- High School diploma or equivalent education and experience
- One year’s food preparation experience in a commercial or health care Food Service operation with familiarity of special diets preferred
- Ability to organize own workload to meet pre-established schedules
- Ability to operate necessary equipment to cook and serve foods applying established food handling, sanitation, and safety techniques
- Ability to understand and follow procedures and recipes and present meals in an appealing and attractive manner
- Ability to work safely and follow area Occupational Health and Safety guidelines
- Ability to operate computer using established guidelines
- Ability to communicate effectively and work in a team setting with a variety of clients
- Ability to conduct self in an ethical, professional and honest manner, thereby being a role model
- Ability to give direction to other staff within established guidelines
AHS values the diversity of the people and communities we serve, and is committed
to attracting, engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Please submit one application for each position desired as copies of applications will not be submitted for multiple postings on your behalf. Applications must include skills and ability for the position, since selection is based on information provided in the application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying with the AHS!
All new offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Records Check satisfactory to the employer.
This information is collected by the authority of the Protection For Person In Care Act (Section 10(4)).